Oh yes, tmr's the eve and I’m going to do some serious shopping hehe. Bargains at compass point's value dollar shop? Wait till you see me get the cheapest pineapple tarts in Singapore. No, I’m no pineapple tart connoisseur nor fanatic but I believe since one (or rather I) cannot get the best pineapple tarts in Singapore, which apparently cannot be bought with money, the next best alternative would be to go for the cheapest ones because the rest in between are just a waste of money. No, the preceding statement isn't just another one of my queer philosophies; allow me to substantiate my claim. A couple of weeks before, my mum bought a box of pineapple tarts from prima deli, the same kind we ate last year and probably the year before. This year, they came in exquisite-looking tin cans so I guess my mum just couldn't resist buying them. Looks and packaging aside, the tarts certainly didn't taste as well as they did last year and I wonder why. Maybe they have become complacent, maybe it’s the cny manufacturing fervour that has led to a decline in QC anyway, the bottom line is: the tarts aren’t worth their inflated price tag. Actually I always felt that cny eve was somewhat romantic in the sense that it's one of the few occasions where you get to spend some quality time with your family members and even your other half, be it at the dining table or at Chinatown/marina bay/river angbao squeezing through the horrendous crowd. In fact, I can still remember talking to my ex-gf on the hp while strolling through Chinatown years ago when I was still in the army (and my hp was some monochromatic-Motorola) and they were those couple of times when my family would drive to KL on cny eve. The NS highway was absolutely dark then (in fact it probably still is) and with the cold air permeating into the car; it was more of a race to the next toilet than trying to reach KL asap. My father doesn't drive anymore but hey there's an NEL that connects my house straight to Chinatown so ironically, Chinatown’s more accessible than before. Examining my current sentiments, I wonder if it’s a pre-determined trend but it seems that as one grows older, one gets more nostalgic and this year I seem to miss my uncles more than before. Yup they have settled all around the globe (Malaysia, Australia and even Ireland) (always read about the Chinese Diaspora but never quite realize the "immediacy" of the term), good thing is that one of my uncles is coming down to Singapore from Australia in two weeks time, its been a long time since I last seen him. Haha, I can still remember how my uncle would hold me upside down by my legs when I was still in primary school haha. Enough of reminiscing, not that they are bad but I sure you are bored listening to my life story. Well at least they steer my mind away from other thoughts, people, person.
__________